Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Intelligent Design?

A few minutes ago, my friend and coworker called me from a bar in Portsmouth, NH. He read me something from The New York times, that personally, I found really disturbing. He found an article saying that 42% of Americans believe that intelligent design should be taught in schools. WHAT???!!! Intelligent design? Are you fucking kidding me? What is wrong with this country?

First thing people...It doesn't matter if some deity or advanced race created us or not! We have NO proof whatsoever that some all powerful intelligent being created us. We do however have proof for our natural evolution.

I guess the real problem here is the whole separation of church and state issue. We all decided many years ago that religious beliefs would not be taught in schools. BOTTOM LINE!! There is no changing this...We made a decision and we must all stick to it. Why do we need to stick to it? Well, because it solves that BIG ASS problem that we all had hundreds of years ago...Oppression by a religious group. Originally we came over here from Europe to escape this crap. Are we going backwards or what?

Point being people...It does NOT matter if an intelligent being created us. We do not know the answer, so we will not teach it! Wake up America! The right is taking control and if we do not get organized, we are going to watch as the new and upcoming generations get brainwashed into believing bullshit that has no real basis!


7 Comments:

Blogger Tam Hanna said...

Hi,
could you tell me what the subject inteligent design should be? I am an austrian, and thus dont know it!
Best regards
Tam Hanna

12:53 PM  
Blogger Lore said...

I think it would be an interesting subject to learn, but not at a young age (middle or even high school), where you suck up almost any information you're given as truth...I don't think it's likely this would make it to schools...too many parents would disagree.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Tam Hanna said...

Hi,
we have religion at school in Austria-as voluntary subject, but right on from first grade!
Best regards
Tam Hanna

8:57 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

There are still plenty of religious references that pop up in public school... from a concert choir song to American Lit.

I actually had the option to take a Mythology course in high school, which I did take, and it was awesome. I wouldn't want that to be taken away.

BTW, I just found out what your real name is from Rebecca. Very sneaky, I must say, going that long without revealing it.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

the problem is that Christians believe that other origin theories interfere with their religion and therefore also should not be taught. I'm not entirely against this "intelligent design" theory being taught in schools depending on the presentation - in fact I'm pretty sure that Creationism, while not taken very seriously, was covered as a theory in science classes of mine where origin was discussed.

As I'm sure you know, I'm in favor of a complete overhaul in the educational system involving much shorter class lengths- say about 6 weeks - with more specificity in topics. this type of system would allow schools to diversify the classes a bit, giving the parent & student a choice between an origin class with more emphasis on evolution, and one with more emphasis on intelligent design. I firmly believe that all theories should be objectively explained and explored regardless of the emphasis, if only to understand what the other theories are that people believe. I believe people of various intolerant religious beliefs would be content with that if they had a choice of emphasis.

5:21 PM  
Blogger anybody said...

I can't quite put my finger on it exactally, but I feel like there is a connection between this intelligent deign movement and terrorism around the world. Shouldn't other people and cultures be very afraid of a nation with so much military power that wants to embrace rigid religious fundamentalism?

8:55 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

you will like this.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home